Hersonissos Port is located 25 km east of Heraklion on the road to Agios Nikolaos. The city was first built during the Minoan times (2000 B.C.).
A lot later, during Roman and early Byzantine periods, the city experienced significant prosperity which was ended by several pirate attacks. The inhabitants were then forced to move in the inland where nowadays the village of "Old" Hersonissos is located. In the 1950's the port of Hersonissos started getting rehabilitated and attracting tourists due to its natural beauty. There are still Roman remains in the area and two early Christian churches of the 5th and 6th centuries A.D. (Basilicas).
Nowadays, Hersonissos is one of the busiest and most developed tourist areas of Crete. One can find beautiful beaches, a variety of entertainment facilities and numerous shops. Nearby sightseeing includes three traditional housing villages up the hill to the south and the famous Minoan palace of Malia (5km away).